Friday 2 September 2011

Challenges and projects

In June I participated in MeMadeJune, an internet challenge run by Zoe, where I pledged to wear one me-made item every day. I actually finished it, but I didn't have time to document, so I'm afraid you're just going to have to take my word for it =) Now another challenge is running: Self Stitched September began yesterday. I very much wanted to participate this time around as well, but I feel that I haven't filled up the gaps in my homesewn wardrobe I discovered in June, and I will instead focus on sewing.

So what did I learn from MMJ? First, that taking daily pictures are time-consuming and a big challenge in itself. If I didn't want my living room as a backdrop for every single outfit I had to find photo spots outdoors. Not a huge problem, but a time-thief... It was fun, though! I discovered lots of nice little photo-places in my near surroundings, places otherwise never would have occured to me.

Second, that I have some huge gaps:
-Tops and blouses, and not just of the homemade version. I just simply have too little variation in that departement.
- Comfy clothes to wear around the house
-Work-out wear
-Outerwear

It also wouldn't hurt to have a few more dresses, both for winter and for summer. My plan is to sew soft jersey dresses to slouch around at home in during winter, and be comfy in all summer.

But is there a plan to rectify these gaps, you might wonder? Indeed there is! But then I always have plans... I sometimes fear that I actually prefer dreaming of sewing while fabric-hoarding to real sewing =) One reason why I'm so slow in finishing projects is that sewing is just one of my favorite hobbies, and dancing takes a lot of time and energy. Not to mention the full time job and the 3 times a week gym-work out ordered by the doctor (Literally. Or at least ordered by the physical therapist the doctor sent me to.).
My current projects, and why they are not finished, sort of sums up the other reasons so few things are proclaimed ready. A small list:



My late, paternal grandmother's dressing robe. The only visible flaw that needed fixing up was the lining. I could have just patched it, and it would have been done. But anything worth doing is worth doing well... So I'm inserting a new lining and finishing all the robe's selvedges.


Time consuming, but the robe is 65 years old, and with a little love I will be able to wear it for many more years.



A holk-sleeve blouse with a fit I'm far from happy with. Just look at those awful strainlines from the shoulder!


Also the blouse is a bit snug around the hips. I'm tricky to fit, and anything meant for my upperbody takes more than one toile. I need to make a new toile for this pattern before I cut into this beautiful pure silk:

I love, love, love this fabric, and I'm comfortable cutting into it since I know where to get more (a much more important factor for me than the price, which was quite dear). But I still want a pattern I belive in before I start cutting.


Johanne's pants (no pictures yet). Men's wear + pants, need I say more? I'm tossing the old pattern out and am making a new pattern and toile. When attempting garments that are outside my skill-zone I learn things, but it does not make for fast sewing. Fun, though =)

Then there are of course the eternal projects, but these are the one's I'm actively working on right now. What about you, do you whip out a new garment in an evening? Do you frequently think "Who's going to know? Let's sew!"? Or do you lose yourself in the quest for perfection until nothing is ever proclaimed ready, and none of your creations has your full approval? Or do you manage to balance the fine line inbetween?

Have a great weekend!
Love, Erika

3 comments:

Kitten von Kat said...

Åh, jag har också många gånger undrat om jag också föredrar att drömma och samla tyg framför att faktiskt sy något...Det verkar också komma in fler tyg/ändringsprojekt än vad som blir klart. Kanske jag borde gå på loppis lite mer sällan? Däremot har jag blivit mycket bättre på att avsluta vad jag påbörjat så för tillfället har jag bara ett enda projekt på gång! I nåt skede blev det helt enkelt för frustrerande att ha så mycket halv-färdigt.

Lycka till med att fylla luckorna i garderoben, det är något jag själv borde ta mig tid för nångång...

Susan said...

I love the print of the blue dress! Hope you don´t mind I nominated your lovely blog - http://susansdiaryvintagestylemeets.blogspot.com/2011/09/irresistibly-sweet-blog-award-goes-to.html

Erika said...

Kitten; jag har satt totalt tygstopp. Oavsett om det är rea eller loppis. När jag sytt upp lite så kan jag få köpa nytt, men regeln får nog vara två ut, en in närmsta tiden =) Duktigt med ett projekt åt gången! Jag siktar på att hamna där så smånigom. I verkligheten får jag nog nöja mig med ett långtidsprojekt och sen ett kort-projekt åt gången.

Susan; Thank you so much for the nomination! I'll swing by your blog to check it out =)